Foundation Beginning Woodwork
This foundation beginning woodworking class, will teach you how to build furniture using both power tools and hand tools. This course is perfect for beginners or for intermediates who want to hone their skills. Everything you will need is here in the workshop along with really knowledgeable, patient instructors who will show you safe methods of work.
Learn How to Use to Power Tools & Build Furniture
In this hands-on class, you will learn the complete process of woodworking from concept to finished product. You will learn about:
- How to Design furniture – see this blog entry “Designing Furniture,” to get an idea about some of the things you’ll learn
- How to Mill Lumber – this means making wood straight, square, flat and true. You will learn how to use power tools such as the Jointer, Planer, Chop Saw and Table Saw
- If you haven’t used any of these machines before, don’t worry! That’s why you’re taking the class to learn safe and proper use. If you’ve been using them for a while, we will check your technique and suggest upgrades for safety and productivity.
- How to Do Joinery – Learn how to make three fundamental joints – Rabbets, Mortise and Tenon, and Mitres. These joints help you do the majority of woodworking projects.
- Construction – Learn about the different kinds of glues used in woodworking, how to sand and what to sand with, how to clamp and various types of clamps (the YouTube video over on the right gives you a quick look)
- How to Select a Finish – If you’ve been baffled by finishing this broad-based review will show you how to select a finish, and how to apply
This is a jammed packed five days, and we’ll make sure you get to put all the theory that you’re learning into practice with two projects – a chopping board and a small table.
Tools Needed: None needed
Materials & Books Needed:
Materials List: Poplar wood will be provided (Included in the cost of the class)
Suggested books: The Real Wood Bible, Joint Book – Complete Guide by Nick Gibbs
Syllabus: Beginning Woodworking Syllabus
Tuition: $775 per person
Studio & Materials Fee: $40
One time registration Fee: $45
- April 19 @ 9:00 am
- April 23 @ 4:00 pm
- Event Categories:
- 2021 Classes, All, Beginning Woodworking, Certificate Beginning Woodwork, Furniture Making, In Person, Level I, Project Based, Table Making
- Event Tags:
- 5 Day Class, air dried wood, bedroom furniture, Beginning, beginning woodworking, brown glue, build a table, build an elegant table, carpentry, carpentry furniture, chair dimensions, cherry, chopping board, class, Class 5 Day Class, construction drawings, crosscut, custom furniture, custom woodworking, cut list, cutting board, cutting diagram, cutting joints, dado, design a table, design formulas, diy, drill press, edge grain, face sawn wood, festool sanders, fibonacci series, final cut list, florida, florida woodworking, forstner bit, foundational woodworking, front elevation construction drawing, furniture, furniture construction drawings, furniture cut list, furniture design, furniture function, furniture glue, furniture making, furniture making skills, gifts for woodworkers, glue set times, grain direction, great instructors, green wood, Hand Tools, hands on class, hardwood, heartwood, How to Calculate how much wood you need for a project, how to design furniture, how to do joinery, how to make a cut list, how to mill lumber, how to sand wood, how to select a finish, how to use hand tools, how to use lumber, how to use power tools, how wood is cut, improve your skills, jig, jointer, joints, joints for furniture, kiln dried wood, lacquer, laumber, learn new skills, living room furniture, lumber, lumber yard cut list, mahogany, manipulation of wood, maple, materials list, maximum no sag spans for shelves, mill lumber, milling, milling raw lumber, modern furniture, moisture content, mortise, oil finishes, perfect for beginners, pine wood, places to buy wood, Plain Sawn Lumber, plain sawn wood, plan elevation construction drawing, planer, poplar, power tool, Power Tools, projects, Quarter Sawn Lumber, quarter sawn wood, raw lumber, resaw cut, Rift Sawn Lumber, rift sawn wood, rip cut, rough cut, rough sawn, router, safe power tool use, sanding, sap, sepele, shellac, soft wood, splinter wood, standard chair dimensions, standard dimensions for bookcases, standard dimensions for shelves, standard furniture dimensions, table apron, table construction, table dimensions, table joints, table making, table router, table saw, table top, tampa, the golden rule, thickness planer, timber, tools, varnish blend finishes, walnut, wax finishes, wood density, wood finish, wood grain, wood moisture content, wood properties, wood selection, woodworkin, Woodworking, woodworking education, woodworking glue, woodworking machinery, woodworking school, yellow glue