Finishing Furniture | Weekend
Learn To Finish Furniture
This weekend finishing class provides a hands-on experience on finishing techniques and tools. Come learn why you finish, how to choose the right finish and explore all the different types of coatings available that will give your piece a professional grade finish.
By the end of the class, you will know how to color with dyes and pigments, how to apply varnish, shellac, and oil finishes as well as spray finishes while demystifying the many color and finishing products. You will also learn how to select the proper abrasives and sanders. The art of finishing is as simple as learning to cook. Once you learn the basics tools available to work with and how each element can shift the results you will marvel in the endless possibilities. Repeating the successes are simply following the same steps of your step by step panel.
The class is a combination of lecture, demo and hands on. All of the hands on will done on practice panels provided by the School, so that you will be able to have take home reference tools.
In this hands on class you will learn about:
- the importance of design,
- wood preparation
- creating step by step panels
- color, how to choose which stain or dye along
- what finish is best suited for the project
- how to apply three go to finishes (oil & wax, shellac, polyurethane)
- tricks, tips and troubleshooting methods
Materials & Books Needed: Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexnor
Syllabus: Finishing Syllabus
Fees: $455 per person
Studio & Materials Fee: $40
One time registration fee of $45
- September 25 @ 9:00 am
- September 26 @ 4:00 pm
- Event Categories:
- 2021 Classes, All, Finishing, Furniture Making, In Person, Level I, Speciality Classes, Weekend
- Event Tags:
- beginning woodworking, class, craft, crafts, date activities, date ideas, demonstrations, different types of finishes, finishes, finishes for beginners, finishing furniture, finishing techniques, finishing tools, fun date ideas, gifts for woodturners, great instructors, group activities, hands on experience, how to apply a spray finish, how to apply finishing oils, how to apply shellac, how to apply varnish, how to choose the right finish, how to color with dyes, how to color with pigments, how to color wood, how to stain, learn a new hobby, Learn how to finish furniture, learn new skills, new hobby, oils, picking stains, polyurethane finish, professional grade finish, select appropriate abrasives, select appropriate sanders, shellac, spray finishes, stains, step by step panels, the art of finishing, the importance of design, tips on picking a finish, tricks to finishes, troubleshooting whats wrong with your finish, varnish, Weekend Class, weekend finishing class, what finish is best suited for the project, why put a finish, wood preparation, Woodworking, woodworking for beginners, woodworking projects