- This event has passed.
Handtool & Joinery | Brian Reid
January 13 @ 9:00 am - January 17 @ 4:00 pm$775
Essential Handtool & Joinery Skills
Handtool work and joinery are vital skills for all woodworkers. There is nothing more valuable than being able to select and cut joints with skill and ease. You’ll be learning from a master craftsman – Brian Reid, who has a life time of learning to share with you.
This class taught by Brian Reid will increase your joinery skills regardless of your starting point. You will learn how to select joints, how to lay them out, how to cut them accurately using a variety of hand tool and machine based methods. It is an incredible class no matter your skill level and will build your confidence and impact the quality of your woodworking for years to come. (Please make sure you take a look at the tools list and that you bring these with you when you come). Along with learning about and making a wide variety of joints you will improve your layout skills, radically improve your measuring and accuracy and gain a better understanding of joint selection and wood behavior.
If you are not confident in your hand skills and joinery this is a perfect class. At the end of the week, what once seemed difficult will be approached with confidence.
In this five day class, you’ll learn and practice joint making techniques that will include:
- Sharpening your chisels and hand planes
- Hand planing your lumber
- Selection & layout of joints with a wide variety of measuring & marking tools
- Hand cutting Lap Joints, Box Joints, Mitres
- Mortise and tenons
- Dovetails – through, half-blind
- Approaches to Cabinet, Frame, Table, and Chair Joinery
- How to recover from joinery mistakes
This is a technique and skill-based class. You will focus on making joinery samples that you will be able to take home and use as a reference in your home workshop.
Tools Needed: None are needed for this class. If you would like to bring tool here is the suggested CLICK HERE FOR Joinery Tool List
Materials & Books Needed:
Materials Needed: NONE – provided by the School
Tuition: $775 per person
Studio & Materials Fee: None
One time registration fee of $45
- January 13 @ 9:00 am
- January 17 @ 4:00 pm
- Event Categories:
- 2020 Classes, All, Beginning Woodworking, Certificate Joinery, Furniture Making, handtool, Joinery, Level I, Level II
- Event Tags:
- Beginning, box joints, Brian Reid, Cabinet Joinery, chisel, combination squares, cut joints, cut wood accurately, dovetail, fix joinery mistakes, Frame Joinery, furniture, furniture making, half-blind dovetails, hand planer, Hand planing lumber, Hand Tools, handsaw, handtools, joinery #, joinery class, joint selection, lap joints, layout skills, learn, machine based methods, marking gauges, measuring and accuracy, mitres, Mortise and tenons, planer, rabbets, saw, select joints, sharpening chisels, sharpening hand planes, shooting board, skill-based class, Table Joinery, through dovetails, variety of joints, wood behavior, wood planer, Woodworking, woodworking classes, woodworking projects