MEET YOUR INSTRUCTOR
Introduction to Tambour Doors | Larissa Huff
Introduction to Making Tambour Doors
A multidisciplinary class with a fantastic end result!
You will work on making a small cabinet (photo is pending) with a tambour door that will build on your woodworking and power tool knowledge. It is a great introduction to tambour door making and all the creative ways in which the mechanism can be used.
Although cabinet making is secondary to the goal of the class, you’ll also learn and practise techniques that will improve all your future cabinet making projects.
If you are just getting going and have a little bit of knowledge under your belt or have been working for a while and want to add some new features to your projects, this class will get you miles down the road. You’ll also end up with a beautifully elegant piece that fits seamlessly into a wide array of styles.
Learn How To Make a Small Cabinet with a Tambour Door
In this hands-on class, you will learn the complete process of making tambour doors from concept to finished product. You will learn how to:
- design tambours
- create the templates for the routing tracks
- create the shape and leverage the grain of the slats
- use a fabric backing
- design and create the door handles
- finessing the tambours for a perfect fit
This is a jammed packed five days, and we’ll make sure you get to put all the theory that you’re learning into practice.
The goal is to complete your piece, but not necessarily finish it. An oil wax finish is available if time allows.
Tools Needed: NONE
Materials & Books Needed: NONE
Studio & Materials Fee: $135
One time registration Fee: $45
- August 29 @ 9:00 am
- September 2 @ 5:00 pm
- Event Categories:
- 2022 Classes, All, Case & Cabinets, Certificate Elective, Furniture Making, In Person, Level II, Project Based, Speciality Classes, Veneering
- Event Tags:
- 5 Day Class, air dried wood, bedroom furniture, Beginning, beginning woodworking, brown glue, build a table, build an elegant table, carpentry, carpentry furniture, chair dimensions, cherry, chopping board, class, Class 5 Day Class, construction drawings, crosscut, custom furniture, custom woodworking, cut list, cutting board, cutting diagram, cutting joints, dado, design a table, design formulas, diy, drill press, edge grain, face sawn wood, festool sanders, fibonacci series, final cut list, florida, florida woodworking, forstner bit, foundational woodworking, front elevation construction drawing, furniture, furniture construction drawings, furniture cut list, furniture design, furniture function, furniture glue, furniture making, furniture making skills, gifts for woodworkers, glue set times, grain direction, great instructors, green wood, Hand Tools, hands on class, hardwood, heartwood, How to Calculate how much wood you need for a project, how to design furniture, how to do joinery, how to make a cut list, how to mill lumber, how to sand wood, how to select a finish, how to use hand tools, how to use lumber, how to use power tools, how wood is cut, improve your skills, jig, jointer, joints, joints for furniture, kiln dried wood, lacquer, laumber, learn new skills, living room furniture, lumber, lumber yard cut list, mahogany, manipulation of wood, maple, materials list, maximum no sag spans for shelves, mill lumber, milling, milling raw lumber, modern furniture, moisture content, mortise, oil finishes, perfect for beginners, pine wood, places to buy wood, Plain Sawn Lumber, plain sawn wood, plan elevation construction drawing, planer, poplar, power tool, Power Tools, projects, Quarter Sawn Lumber, quarter sawn wood, raw lumber, resaw cut, Rift Sawn Lumber, rift sawn wood, rip cut, rough cut, rough sawn, router, safe power tool use, sanding, sap, sepele, shellac, soft wood, splinter wood, standard chair dimensions, standard dimensions for bookcases, standard dimensions for shelves, standard furniture dimensions, table apron, table construction, table dimensions, table joints, table making, table router, table saw, table top, tampa, the golden rule, thickness planer, timber, tools, varnish blend finishes, walnut, wax finishes, wood density, wood finish, wood grain, wood moisture content, wood properties, wood selection, woodworkin, Woodworking, woodworking education, woodworking glue, woodworking machinery, woodworking school, yellow glue