- This event has passed.
Wall Cabinet | Philip Morley
Make a MCM Wall Cabinet
Limited spaces available.
Come and build your skills and furnish your home with this clean and contemporary Morley Wall Cabinet.
The wall cabinet is inspired by the works of James Krenov with a Scandinavian influence. Philip designed this piece both as its own work of art as well as means of displaying and housing work. It is built with traditional joinery making it a classical piece – you will learn how to do bridle joints for the door construction, how to build frame and panel doors, how to cut shop sawn veneers, how to construct the main carcass with dowel construction making a very simple but effective and precise jig, you will learn about the importance of reference faces throughout the piece, and how to look at wood differently by using rip and flip to achieve quiet but beautiful grain.
Designed with a Scandinavian flair but stunningly beautiful, this cabinet is an excellent way to both develop your woodworking skills and make a statement in your home. Designed by Philip Morley – your instructor, you’ll find yourself learning about traditional joinery and careful craft and unique design touches.
This build will help you focus in on accurate layout, careful measurement, and the use of new techniques for building.
Some of the key learning points include:
- The rip and flip technique
- Dowel joinery (the correct way)
- Frame and panel door/back
- Reference faces/layout
- Bridle joinery
- Making your own shop-sawn veneer
- Edge profiling with handtools
This class also includes a full lunch each day so that students can concentrate on their work as well as having an opportunity to share time together. Lunches will be delicious, interesting, and sustaining.
Materials & Books Needed: Provided by the School
Primary materials include cherry and maple. Walnut or Sepele is available for an additional fee of $65
Please bring one pair of hinges LINK
- Jan 30, 2022 @ 9:00 am
- Feb 5, 2022 @ 5:00 pm
- Event Categories:
- 2022 Classes, All, Case & Cabinets, Certificate Case, Furniture Making, handtool, In Person, Joinery, Level I, Level II, Level III, Project Based
- Event Tags:
- accurate chair layout, american furniture, Beginning, bridle joint, careful craftsmanship, careful measurement, chair, chair joinery, chair making, chisel, chris schwarz, combination squares, contemporary morley lounge chair, coping on the table saw, cut joints, cut wood accurately, decorative veneering of the panels, design features, design something beautiful, develope woodworking skills, furniture, furniture making, hand planer, hand planes, Hand planing lumber, hand tool use, Hand Tools, handsaw, handtools, jigs for pattern routing, joinery #, joinery class, joint selection, lap joints, layout skills, learn, lost art press, lounge chair, machine based methods, mad men chair, making bridle, marking gauges, mcm chair, mid century flair, mid century modern, mitres, Mortise and tenons, pattern routing, philip morely, planer rabbets, power tool techniques, saw, select joints, sharpening chisels, sharpening hand planes, shooting board, skill-based class, spokeshaves, supremely comfortable, Table Joinery, template routing, through dovetails, traditional joinery, unique design touches, using templates, welsh staked, wood behavior, Woodworking, woodworking classes, woodworking projects