Woodland Carving | Giles Newman
Hand Carve Nature-Inspired Art Spoons & Jewelry
Take your carving and whittling skills to another level and learn to use the natural characteristics of wood to guide the creation of unique, nature-inspired art spoons and jewelry entirely by knife.
In this class, Giles will instruct advanced knife carving techniques, 3D carving and design skills, detail and surface texture carving, and a deep understanding of wood to enable you to build your own projects and take them to the next level of intricacy and detail.
Embrace the beauty of each piece of wood and each idiosyncrasy within the wood to produce genuinely unique sculptural spoons and pendants that utilize the organic form of the wood, bringing natural subjects to life.
Learn how to:
• Prepare carving blanks by splitting and cleaning the wood with an axe and knife
• Develop essential techniques for carving by knife
• Pre-visualize dynamic 3D forms within the wood & create naturalistic layers of depth
• Carve detailed cutouts to separate elements with a design
• Create intricate and lifelike surface textures to create patterns such as feathers and fur detail
• Finishing techniques appropriate to the wood and subject
Projects include a series of detailed relief carving tasks, such as fully 3D pendants from prepared blanks and a unique spoon that responds to the natural forms within the wood when split.
SKILL LEVEL This class is appropriate for all experience levels, but prior woodworking knowledge would be advantageous. There is no heavy lifting, and students will be sitting most of the time.
Giles Newman is a renowned British craftsman whose work is collected internationally. We are excited to welcome him to the United States.
Workshop Days: Monday to Friday
Instruction Time: 9:00am – 4:00pm
School Opens:. 8:30am – 4:30pm
Tuition & Materials:
One-time registration fee