Mid Century Modern Coffee Table
Apr 12, 2020 - Apr 17, 2020 | 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Design & Build a Mid Century Coffee Table
By the end of this class, you will have designed, built, and finished a perfectly sized mid-century modern coffee table for your home!
In this great hands-on class, you will learn the complete process of woodworking from concept to finished product, plus you will end up with your own hand made coffee table.
This class is for beginners and intermediate woodworkers.
You will learn about:
- Designing MCM Furniture
- Milling Lumber – Milling is taking a rough piece of wood and turning it into the pieces and parts of what you’re building. This means making wood straight, square, flat, and true. In this class, we will do this using the jointer, planer, chop saw, and table saw. We will check your technique and suggest upgrades for safety and productivity, but a good familiarity with these tools should already be in place.
- Joinery – The focus will be on jig guided joinery. All of the elements in this table need to be within tight tolerances. You will learn how to make jigs that make accuracy much much easier to achieve.
- Construction – Learn about the different kinds of glues used in woodworking, how to sand and what to sand with, how to clamp and various types of clamps
- Finishing – Run your hand across a beautiful piece of custom furniture, and it even FEELS gorgeous. Learn how to do THAT.
- Turning – We will work together to turn the legs for the classic MCM look. Don’t worry if you’re new to turning; this is a great first project, and Miriam is a great teacher.
This is a jammed packed skill and knowledge building class – 5 full days of tuition with the sixth day of workshop time to use if you need it. We’ll make sure you get to put all the theory that you’re learning into practice. The table design will be used to maximize your learning and help to reinforce the skill sets being taught.
Tools Needed: All tools provided by the School
- Materials Poplar wood, Sapele (mahogany) and Cherry are provided (Included in the cost of the class)
Studio & Materials Fee: $60
Registration Fee: $45 (One time)