- This event has passed.
Introduction To Wood Turning | Don Geiger
February 25 - March 1 | 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Woodturning is a great hobby, has a short learning curve, and is enjoyed by men and women over a wide range of ages
This introductory course taught by Don Geiger will give you a thorough understanding about lathes, tools and woods enabling you to turn wood on a lathe safely and efficiently.
You will learn important details about how to use a variety of tools and accessories, while turning dry and green wood blanks on a Midi-lathe. You will learn to sharpen tools and how to safely use a variety of methods and accessories for mounting and turning wood on the lathe. The use of gouges will be emphasized. We will also help you figure out what to consider if you want to buy your own lathe.
Learning efficient processes of starting with a wooden blank through a finished product will be of great benefit to you when turning on your own. Each student may progress at their own pace turning platters and bowls.
Lathes, tools, accessories and wood are all provided by the school. Students do not need to bring anything but the desire to learn to turn and to have a great time!
This class is will teach you how to do all of these in a safe, encouraging environment. These are the main elements of what you’ll learn:
- What to know when buying and aligning your first lathe
- How to select wood for your projects
- Safety practices for dust collection, face shields, and the tool maintainace
- Techniques for sharpening and using your turning tools
- Basic chucking techniques (don’t worry if you dont know what this is – we’ll show you)
- Turning will be focused on three fundamental techniques
- Turning safety
- Methods for sanding and finishing your work
Materials & Books
Materials List: Provided in class.
Required books: None
Tuition: $750 per person
Studio & Materials Fee: $30
One Registration Fee: $45