- This event has passed.
Summer Camp- Shop Class for Teens Beginning Woodworking
Jul 23, 2018 - Jul 27, 2018 | 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Help Your Teen LEARN Something this Summer!
By the end of this Course your Teen will be able to competently use a variety of power tools and hand tools to actually MAKE something – from design to finished product.
Our fully equipped shop is the scene of creative, skill building work for 5 hours of instruction every day as well for free time. The skills learnt here will last a life time.
Students will learn the complete process of woodworking including:
- Designing a Project – The principals used to design Furniture or any woodworking project applies to so many things in life!
- Milling – Learn what it takes to get from a raw piece of lumber to a finished product starting with the prep work.
- Joinery – This COULD be the most fun part of woodworking. How DO you put corners together perfectly or create something with NO nails or screws to hold them together?
- Finishing – Have you run your hand over a beautiful piece of furniture and wondered how they got from the rough wood of a tree to something smooth as glass? That’s Finishing.
- Using Power Tools – SAFELY
- Using Hand Tools and more…
They will how learn tool set-up and proper techniques for using stationary power equipment (jointer, planer, band saw, etc) and hand tools (squares, chisels, drills, scrapers). Their project will be a small table and/or a chopping board.
Each student is assigned a specific workspace (where the bench, itself, can be used as a tool).
Parents this class is open both girls and boys.
Supervision ratio is high and we stress safety above all else. Students may use power tools only after they have been instructed in their safe and proper use, have spent time observing instructors in their safe and proper use, and can demonstrate to their instructors their ability to use the power tools safely themselves, including the use of protective eye gear and hearing protection.
Appropriate for ages 14 – 17 yrs