- This event has passed.
Introduction To Wood Turning with Rudy Lopez
Jun 18, 2018 - Jun 22, 2018 | 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Woodturning is a great hobby and it has a short learning curve, the skills last a lifetime, and you get to make wood chips fly! Few things are more satisfying than creating something out of wood with your own two hands-that beautiful bowl, useful pen, or one-of-a-kind ornament turned on the lathe instantly becomes a source of pride, a family heirloom, or a favorite gift.
This class is will teach you how to do all of these in a safe, encouraging environment. Each student has their own Jet Midi Lathe and there is plenty of hands on time to work on a wide range of projects. These are the main elements of what you’ll learn:
- What to know when buying and aligning your first lathe
- How to select wood for your projects
- Safety practices for dust collection, face shields, and the tool maintainace
- Techniques for sharpening and using your turning tools
- Basic chucking techniques (don’t worry if you dont know what this is – we’ll show you)
- Turning will be focused on three fundamental techniques – Spindle (handles, wine stoppers, rolling pins), Face work (bowls, platters, plates), and Endgrain (bowls, boxes, goblets).
- Turning safety
- Methods for sanding and finishing your work