- This event has passed.
Learn Woodcut Printing – Sunday
July 14 | 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
Meet Your Instructor
Jennifer Harper is our instructor for this unique class. An accomplished printmaker and artist from Eustice FL, she has studied and taught nationally and internationally…Read More.
Woodcut/Wood Block Print Making
Level: Open to All
The ancient art of woodblock printing is a perfect craft to get started with printmaking. This easy workshop will introduce you to the tools and methods needed to allow you to carve and print from your own relief woodblocks.
- Experimenting with your chisels and gouges to see what kind of marks you can make on a scrap piece. Exploring different ways to carve to obtain a range of texture, depth, and dramatic contrast to create strong visual statements in your work.
- Carving your plate on a small block of basswood
- Proofing your plate.
- Using a brayer (roller) to spread water soluble ink which is easy to clean up.
- Printing your plate with a simple hand burnishing method.
- Learning to use a small etching press.
No experience necessary, only enthusiasm and a willingness to try your hand are required!
If time allows we’ll also take a quick look at woodcut throughout history, allowing you to see the different possibilities of this expression.
Tuition: $100 per person
Materials – Included in the cost of the class – We’ll have everything you need.
All skill levels are welcome.
weekending beginnering sundaying joinerying woodworkinging carvinging speciality