- This event has passed.
Evening Class – Hand Plane Restoration
Jul 12, 2018 | 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Make an old hand plane useful again.
If you’ve got an old hand plane that you found at a yard sale, or just had lying around for years and want to make it beautifully sharp and useable again we’ll show you how in this evening class.
There are lots of old planes out there that can be made into a magnificent tools with a little time and effort. Stanley planes in particularly have been well documented, it is easy to find the age and changes made thru their production history at sites like Patricks’ Blood & Gore also Hyperkitten has an excellent plane dating flowchart on his website if you are curious about a Stanley plane you have. In this class we will show you how:
- To take apart and reassemble your hand plane
- The function of each of the parts of the tool
- The sharpening process including abrasives and the sequence in which they are used, sharpening jigs and tools, wet & dry sharpening, free hand and jig guided sharpening.
- We will discuss bevel angles and why they are used.
- How to flatten plane soles, adjust frogs and make your planes shave
- How to clean the non sharpening parts of your hand plane