- This event has passed.
Learn To Veneer | Tim Coleman
February 18 - February 22 | 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Learn To Veneer for Beginners & Beyond
Come and spend a jam packed five days studying veneer with Tim Coleman. Tim is a talented veneer artist as well as an accomplished furniture maker and a regular contributor to Fine Woodworking magazine.
The use of veneer goes back nearly 4,000 years as early forms of it were found in the tombs of Egyptian pharaohs. Veneered surfaces are every bit as durable and attractive as solid wood, and in many situations veneering offers considerable advantages over solid wood construction because of the dimensional stability of the surfaces. Veneering also offers a way to use exotic wood species that is much less demanding on hardwood resources than solid wood construction.
If you’ve been wanting to tackle a wood veneering project, but haven’t been sure how to get started, or you’ve been working with veneer for a while and would like to explore new techniques, this is the right class for you.
All levels of experience are welcome
You will work in a focused, friendly environment and leave with a solid understanding of veneer basics. For those with some existing knowledge of veneer work, you can expand your skills by learning how to create patterned surfaces including the use of parquetry and marquetry.
Learn Veneering from a Master Furniture Maker
Here is a quick look at some of the things you will learn:
- Explore the benefits of veneering and appropriate uses, including how to work with both commercial and shop sawn veneer
- Learn about the different types of veneer such as rotary cut, plain sliced, rift sawn and quarter sawn
- Learn how to work with and prepare different substrates, and the proper way to apply edge banding
- Learn about different veneer adhesives
- Learn how to trim veneer to size and piece it together to get perfect seams
- Learn and practice pressing methods, including the use of the vacuum press and cauls and clamps
- Learn about the various tools and methods for cleaning up veneered surfaces, including the use cabinet and card scrapers
- Practice creating different types of patterned surfaces such as book matching, four-way, radial matching, parquetry and marquetry
- Learn how to resaw veneer from solid timber
The class will be sample based so that you can work on multiple techniques and accumulated a ton knowledge.
Cost and Registration Details
Cost: $750 + $60 materials (Scroll down to bottom of page to register)
The cost includes event registration, all materials, plus lunches on Wednesday and Friday.
Dates & Times: Mon, Feb 18th – Friday, Feb 22nd
Lodging – CLICK here for suggestions
Tools & Equipment: Will be emailed