Learn How to Use Power Tools & Build Furniture
Learn how to build furniture using both power tools and hand tools. Perfect for beginners or intermediates who want to hone their skills. Everything you will need is here in the workshop along with really knowledgeable, patient instructors who will show you safe methods of work.
In this hands-on class, you will learn the complete process of woodworking for furniture making (not carpentry) from concept to finished product. You will learn how to:
- Design furniture – see this blog entry “Designing Furniture,” to get an idea
- Mill Lumber – this means making wood straight, square, flat, and true using the Jointer, Planer, Chop Saw, and Table Saw. If you haven’t used any of these machines before, don’t worry! That’s why you’re taking the class to learn safe and proper use. If you’ve been using them for a while, we will check your technique and suggest upgrades for safety and productivity.
- Make fundamental joints – Rabbets, Mortise and Tenon, and Mitres. These joints help you do the majority of woodworking projects.
- Construction – Learn about the different kinds of glues used in woodworking, how to sand and what to sand with, how to clamp, and various types of clamps
- Select a Finish – If you’ve been baffled by finishing, this broad-based review will show you how to select a finish and how to apply
This is a jammed-packed five days, and we’ll make sure you get to put all the theory that you’re learning into practice with two projects – a chopping board and a small table.
Workshop Days: Monday to Friday
Instruction Time: 9:00am – 4:00pm
School Opens:. 8:30am – 5pm
Tools You Will Need
Tuition & Materials:
One-time registration fee