Carving with a classical flair has to start with an in-depth study of how to sharpen the carving tools in the most productive and fastest way.
You will learn about design as well as how to execute it on the surface of your piece. As a group, you will design a project using a combination of both mathematics design methods and creative license. Methods like the golden rule could be used in any type of woodcarving such as carving for furniture or Carving in 3D – also known as Carving in Round or in ornamental or architectural types of wood carving.
During the week, you will carve a project that will show you :
- Techniques for outlining a design.
- Thinking in 3-D
Then it’s on to more advanced carving including the technique of drawing and carving in the classical tradition. We will focus on further advancing the tricks and techniques of the carving trade.
Alexander will discuss how to make the tools do a variety of cuts, even when the wood grain is not cooperating. Students will learn the technique of thinking through the entire carving process from start to finish which will make the carving process efficient.
Key Learning points include:
- Classical design development for carving–the ancient art of design
- Properly use wood carving tools
- Working with wood grain issues
- Carving approaches for furniture, ornamental, architecture
- A fastest, efficient way of sharpening
Tools and materials:
- Fingerless weight lifting gloves
- Recommended – TOOL LIST