- This event has passed.
Essential Handtool & Joinery Skills
Essential Handtool & Joinery Skills
Handtool work and joinery are vital skills for all woodworkers. There is nothing more valuable than being able to select and cut joints with skill and ease.
This class taught by Andrew Gibson will increase your joinery skills regardless of your starting point. You will learn how to select joints, how to lay them out, how to cut them accurately using a variety of hand tool, and machine-based methods. It is an incredible class, no matter your skill level and will build your confidence and impact the quality of your woodworking for years to come. (Please make sure you take a look at the tools list and that you bring these with you when you come). Along with learning about and making a wide variety of joints, you will improve your layout skills, radically improve your measuring and accuracy, and gain a better understanding of joint selection and wood behavior.
If you are not confident in your hand skills and joinery, this is a perfect class. At the end of the week, what once seemed difficult will be approached with confidence.
In this five day class, you’ll learn and practice joint making techniques that will include:
- Sharpening your chisels and hand planes
- Hand planing your lumber
- Selection & layout of joints with a wide variety of measuring & marking tools
- Hand cutting Lap Joints
- Mortise and tenons
- Approaches to Cabinet, Frame, Table, and Chair Joinery
- How to recover from joinery mistakes
This is a technique and skill-based class. You will focus on making joinery samples that you will be able to take home and use as a reference in your home workshop.
Tools Needed: CLICK HERE FOR Joinery Tool List All tools are optional, the School has equipment for each student.
Materials & Books Needed:
Books – The Joint Book by Terrie Noll. (optional, it’s just a good book)
Materials Needed: NONE
Tuition: $795 per person
Studio & Materials Fee: $25
One time registration fee of $45
- Oct 24, 2022 @ 9:00 am
- Oct 28, 2022 @ 4:30 pm
- Event Categories:
- 2022 Classes, All, Beginning Woodworking, Certificate Joinery, handtool, In Person, Joinery, Level II, Level III, Skills Based
- Event Tags:
- american furniture, Beginning, box joints, Cabinet Joinery, carpentry, carpentry furniture, chair joinery, chisel, combination squares, crafts, cut joints, cut wood accurately, cutting dovetail joints, dovetail, fix joinery mistakes, Frame Joinery, furniture, furniture making, furniture making skills, gifts for woodworkers, great instructors, half-blind dovetails, hand planer, Hand planing lumber, Hand Tools, handsaw, handtools, How to assemble picture frames and mount the piece, how to cut matting, how to cut picture frame parts, How to measure, how to properly use chisels, How to route rabbets for the picture and matting, How to spline corners for strength, how to use a hand plane, how to use a handplane, How to use a shooting board, how to use chisels, How to use oil and wax finishes, how to use sharpening stones, joinery #, joinery class, joint selection, lap joints, laying out joinery, layout skills, learn, learn a new hobby, learn how to use handtools, learn new skills, machine based methods, marking gauges, measuring and accuracy, mitres, Mortise and tenons, new hobby, planer, Power Tools, rabbets, Randy Maxey, saw, select joints, sharpening chisels, sharpening hand planes, sharpening stones, shooting board, skill-based class, super easy, Table Joinery, through dovetails, understanding sharpening, using a shooting board, variety of joints, wood behavior, wood planer, Woodworking, woodworking classes, woodworking education, woodworking projects