- This event has passed.
The Art & Technicals of Box Making
THE ART & TECHNIQUES OF BOX MAKING
This Box Making course builds on your woodworking and power tool knowledge and is a great stepping stone class to larger projects, like cabinets or drawers.
In this hands-on five-day class, you’ll learn and practice multiple box-making techniques: design, carcass construction, resawing lumber, box joints, bevel cuts, and setting hinges and hardware. This is as much a “technical skills” class as it is a box-making class.
You will also experiment with:
- sliding and mortised, hinged lids
- keyed miters, finger joints, rabbets
- rabbeted and captured bottoms,
- Three and 4-way grain matching,
- footed bases
- the “architectural aspect” of boxes
You will design and build three to four boxes. You will hone your skills by constructing your designs with the safe operation of power tools.
Remember this class is not about how many boxes you can make but how much learning we can pack into each one. Please come with the goal of learning different designs, joinery, and construction methods not mass production 🙂
Learning how to make a good box is a great stepping stone into case and cabinetry work. We encourage students who are interested in these classes to take this first before the cabinet-making class. We recommend that you have taken the Beginning Woodwork class or that you are familiar and comfortable with power tools.
Tools Needed: None needed.
Materials & Books Needed:
Materials List: You can select from the following lumber for your class: Poplar, Maple, Cherry, Walnut, Sapele
Optional book: Basic Box Making by Doug Stowe – we have several copies at the School you can use during the week.
Syllabus: Box Making Syllabus
Completion of the Beginning Woodwork Foundation class is recommended.
Tuition: $775 per person
Studio & Materials Fee: $50 (this fee includes materials such as walnut, cherry and a few unusuals)
First Time Registration Fee: $45 if you are registering for the first time.
- Dec 5, 2022 @ 9:00 am
- Dec 9, 2022 @ 4:30 pm
- Event Categories:
- 2022 Classes, All, Box making, Certficate Box, Furniture Making, In Person, Level I, Level II, Project Based, Project Based, Skills Based
- Event Tags:
- 4 compartments, 4-way grain matching, and setting hinges and hardware, Attachments box base design, basics of box making, beginning woodworking, beginning woodworking class, beginning woodworking course, bevel cuts, Block box base design, box case design, box design, box hardware selection, box joinery, Box Joint Box, Box Joint Box with Full Width Bottom with Integrated Lid, box joints, box lid butt hinges, box lid feet construction, box lid feet design, box lid hinges, box lid surface mounted hinges, box making, box slab lid construction, box slab lid design, box wood selection, Bracket box base design, bracket box lid feet construction, bracket box lid feet design, bracket feet, Bridle Joints, built in box dividers, Built in Rabbets for box lids, Butt Joint Box, cabinet making class, captured bottom, captured bottoms, carcass construction, carpentry, carpentry furniture, case lining box dividers, Chamfered box base design, chamfered box lid feet construction, chamfered box lid feet design, chamfered frames, chamfered panels, classes in florida, construct your designs, Coved fielded frame, covered box lid construction, covered lid box design, crafts, different construction methods for boxes, Dovetail joints, Extended box base design, extended box lid feet construction, extended box lid feet design, fielded frames, fielded panels, finger joints, finishes for boxes, footed bases, frame and panel joinery, frame and panel lid, full width box bottoms, full width mortised box lid, functions of a box, furniture joinery, furniture making skills, gifts for woodworkers, grain matching, great instructors, grooved box bottoms, Hand Tools, hinges, hinges for boxes, hone your skills, insert box dividers, Inserts lid attachments on boxes, integrated box lid construction, integrated lid box design, Introduction to Joints for Box Assembly, introduction to the basics of box making, joinery #, Keyed Mitered Box, keyed miters, keyed mitred, lap joints, learn a new hobby, learn new skills, lining, Lock miter Box, locks for boxes, making a wooden box, Miter Joint Box, Mitered box base design, Mitered Box with Rabbeted based, miters, mitred box lid feet construction, mitred box lid feet design, molded block based, Molding box base design, new hobby, no morised box lid, oil, part width morised box lids, partial width box, Power Tools, practice different designs, practice multiple box making techniques, preparing stock for boxes, rabbet box bottoms, Rabbet Joint Box, rabbeted bottoms, rabbeted box lid construction, Rabbeted fielded frame, Rabbeted Lid, rabbeted lid box design, rabbets, raised box lid construction, Raised fielded frame, raised lid box design, resawing lumber, Scrolled box base design, scrolled box lid feet construction, scrolled box lid feet design, setting hinges, shellac finish, Slab lid with mortised butt hinges, sliding and mortised hinged lids, Splined Miter Box with Integrated Covered Lid, Splined Mitered Box, tapered box lid construction, Tapered fielded frame, tapered lid box design, technicals of box making, techniques for box case dividers, techniques for case panel bottoms, techniques for lid attachments on box, Techniques for Lid Attachments on Boxes, the "architectural aspect" of boxes, The art of box making, Three way grain matching, Turned box base design, wax finish, Woodworking, woodworking education